A Hybrid saw is a saw that uses a combination of a handheld saw and a power saw. It is a versatile saw that allows you to continue doing what you were doing before switching from a handheld saw to a power saw. It is a saw that performs well with both hard and softwoods. Most hybrid saws are designed for ease of transportation, and you would have also read our post reviewing the best hybrid table saws.
The best uses of the Hybrid Saw
- Bevel Cuts
- Cutting Rabbets and Grooves
- Cutting Joints
The advantages of using a Hybrid Saw
This feature has attracted contractors since this type of saw makes it more portable than other models. You would not want to be dragging around heavy construction equipment when you are working on your project.
Your work is made bearable, and you are free to move around to different areas that you are working. You do not struggle with adjusting the position of the saw if you have an intricate cut coming up, unlike when using a stationary table saw.
Improved Cutting Mechanism
A hybrid table saw has a precise and smooth cutting mechanism. From the name hybrid, it is a combination of the cabinet and contractor saw, and that means the cutting technique of both saws made a hybrid cutting technique.
As much as it can be hard to get such an accurate cut when using a portable tabletop saw, a hybrid table saw allows for perfect cuts if you use it accordingly. That means it is not automatic, but following the procedures makes it easy. You still need to choose your blades carefully so that you do not compromise the precision.
Less Power Needed
Using electrical equipment can use up your power quickly, and that is why you need energy-efficient tools for your projects. Hybrid table saws need a maximum of two horsepower to power their motors. That makes a huge difference when comparing it to a cabinet saw. It relies on up to five horsepower only because this saw requires less horsepowerwhichThedoes not mean that it is less powerful.
A hybrid table saw has a dust collecting feature built-in. Like cabinet saws, they have a compartment attached to them that collects the sawdust, and the feature is handy. That makes it ideal for indoor projects, and it saves you time and effort. Remember to empty the compartment when you are finished.
Hybrid table saws are smaller than cabinet and contractor saws. The size helps the user move the saw around, and it becomes easier to store. Big cabinet saws are difficult to keep if you do not have a workshop, and kickback is difficult to move around either in your workshop or from one spot to the next. Hybrid table saws are more compact, and they do not take up too much space when you are storing them away after use.
Lower on Price
Saws such as cabinet or contractor saws range from the 500 and 1000 mark, whereas hybrid saws start from 400. That might be due to the smaller size, and however, the saw remains more convenient in terms of size.
Buying a saw for less than 500 does not mean compromising its performance, and the saw machine is worth investing in if you are a serious woodworker.
Problems with using a Hybrid Saw
- The tilting mechanism could have been more accurate
- You may need to double-check if the lock on the fence is secure
When NOT to use a Hybrid Saw
To cut off-gauge.
What safety precautions should I take?
- Do not wear gloves while operating a table saw because it causes loss of gripping power. Some gloves are too loose to feed material to the rotating blade.
- Keep the floor in front of the saw free of cut-offs to avoid tripping or sliding into a run.
- Wear proper eye and hearing protection. That protects the eyes from flying debris. Bear in mind that hearing loss comes without symptoms, and you can hardly recover from it.
- Avoid baggy clothes and dangling jewelry. Get rid of other loose-fitting clothing while operating a table saw. These items might get caught in the blade and lead to injuries before you know it.
- Stand comfortably, with your feet far enough apart for good balance. However, when cutting long stock, take several steps towards the saw to keep the feed going. Wear footwear with non-slip soles.
- Use a push stick to cut stock that is 6 inches or less in width. Maintain a 6inch minimum distance to the for safety.
- Use a stop block when you crosscut short lengths.
- Position your body so that it is not in line with the blade. That keeps you out of the line of most kick-backs.
- Never reach behind or over the blade unless it has stopped turning. It is unsafe.
- Switch off the power before changing the blade or performing any other maintenance operation.
- Make sure that the blade has stopped turning before you adjust the table saw.
- Keep the tabletop smooth and polished for less force to push the stock through the blade.
- Keep the rip fence parallel to the blade so that the stock does not bind and kick back.
- Never operate a table saw with the throat insert removed since wood fed into a gaping hole can drop down and get caught on the blade.
- Do not make free-hand cuts on a table saw. Guide the stock through the blade using the rip fence or the miter gauge.
- Keep the blade guards, splitters, and anti-kickback fingers in place and operate freely.
- Check stock before cutting.
How does it compare to other saws?
You can hardly discuss the hybrid saw without comparing it to other models such as cabinet and contractor saws. The reason being these three types of tabletop saws are popular on the market. Each saw income with different features that make it unique.
A contractor table saw is for contractors, which means it is a more portable option than the hybrid saw. The contractor saw takes you to different job sites. These saws are lighter and smaller in size, and the inner workings of the motor are less heavy-duty. Hence the quality of the work is reduced slightly. That is why some people may be put off by this feature and purchase the hybrid table saw instead.
If you have a lot of money to spend, you may consider getting a cabinet saw. This type of saw is reflected in its price. In contrast, a hybrid saw is for users with a tight budget. Its affordability made it popular in the market, and its price range does not compromise its quality. It takes up to five horsepower to get this saw up and running, unlike the hybrid saw.
Unlike the hybrid table saw, the cabinet saw is large and heavy. You would not want to be moving this around too much, and it is ideal for a professional woodworking workshop environment.
What accessories can be added?
- Fence system
- Safety power switch.
- Push stick.
- Push block.
- Dust collection system.
- The Wonders of Using Beeswax on Wood: A Comprehensive Guide - March 8, 2023
- How to Choose the Right Wood for Your Project - March 7, 2023
- Best angle grinder for wood carving - March 6, 2023
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.