So, what is the best reciprocating saw? In the past, if you wanted to cut an edge or break a board in half, you would need to buy a saw. But today, there are many other tools that you can use to accomplish the same tasks. This is especially true when cutting down trees or trimming branches. The best tool for the job is a reciprocating saw.
The reciprocating saw is a power saw that goes back and forth, cutting through any material you might want to cut. For carpentry and woodworking projects, this is a handy tool to have around. However, as with most power tools, there are several types of reciprocating saws on the market, so it is important to be familiar with them before purchasing them. The most popular is the electric model, which comes in an 18-volt, or a larger, 32-volt version. These are much safer than their gas-powered cousins, which usually run on a 28-volt system.
This article will introduce you to some of the best Reciprocating Saws on the market.
In A Hurry
The adage “don’t judge a book by its cover” is less than helpful when it comes to a reciprocating saw. One of the first things you should look for in a reciprocating saw is the power rating. Reciprocating saws are available in 18-volt or larger, 32-volt models. The second thing you’ll want to consider is how safe the saw will be for you and others that may come into contact with it while it’s running. Electric models are easier on the user’s lungs because they don’t require gas fuel and emissions. Still, they can be heavier than their gas counterparts because they’re not attached to an engine that does all of the heavy lifting for them.
Best Reciprocating Saw Reviews
Milwaukee Sawzall Reciprocating Saw — 12 Amps, 1 1/8in. Stroke, Model# 6519-31
The Milwaukee Sawzall Reciprocating Saw uses a 12 Amp motor that pushes the blade up and down at speeds of up to 1,400 RPM. This incredibly fast saw cuts through wood up to 2-1/2″ thick with ease. There is a power feed feature to ensure the blade doesn’t jam as you carry out the cut.
The Milwaukee Model 6519-31 is a good choice for any construction worker, especially those who deal with large amounts of lumber daily.
- Comes with a 5-year warranty.
- Includes a storage case.
- Known to be durable.
- It is a powerful saw.
- Occasionally heats up.
- They could have used better material for the storage case.
Milwaukee Orbital Sawzall Reciprocating Saw — 15 Amps, Model# 6538-21
The Milwaukee Orbital Sawzall Reciprocating Saw is a smaller, corded reciprocating saw designed for finer work. It is an excellent tool for smaller projects where you don’t need an electric model’s power and still need to get the job done. It is capable of cutting through everything from wood to metal.
This saw is an excellent choice for working on car engines, home renovations, or even simple tasks such as hanging pictures or boarding shelving.
- Roughly half the price of the gas reciprocating saw.
- Comes with a 5-year warranty.
- The motor is noticeably quieter than the electric model.
- Great for delicate work.
- Capable of cutting through anything up to 1 inch thick.
- Takes up less space than its competition with its compact design.
- It does not come with an 18v battery.
- It does not come with a case.
- Smaller than the electric model.
Milwaukee M18 FUEL Super Sawzall Reciprocating Saw Kit — 1 High Output HD12.0 Battery, Model# 2722-21HD
The Milwaukee M18 FUEL Super Sawzall Reciprocating Saw Kit has everything you need to complete your DIY projects. It comes equipped with an M18 FUEL HD12.0 battery and a case complete with a battery compartment. This is an excellent addition to any carpenter’s toolbox as it allows for quick and easy installation of the battery.
This kit will allow you to tackle any project, from trimming around a deck or window to accurately cutting boards in half without much fuss.
- Comes with a 5-year warranty.
- Comes with a battery.
- Great for jobs that involve sawing through wood or metal.
- Easy to install the battery to get the job done.
- It is small enough to be carried around comfortably.
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver around your workspace.
- Larger than the others.
- Judging by its size, it may not be easy to fit in some people’s toolboxes.
- It does not come with a case.
DEWALT Reciprocating Saw — 12 Amp, 0–2900 SPM, Model# DWE305
The DEWALT DWE305 Reciprocating Saw is an electric saw that produces up to 12,000 strokes per minute. This is a tool you want to have on hand when you need to cut through wood at a rapid rate. It is powered by a 12 Amp motor that can easily cut through wood.
This saw comes complete with three blades. In addition to the blade storage case, it comes in so you can get started immediately. It also comes with an additional bag to store battery packs and extra blades while you are not using them.
- Quiet motor.
- Incredibly fast.
- Extra battery storage case included.
- Perfect for woodworking and other DIY jobs.
- Comes with a case for storing extra blades and batteries.
- Takes up less space than its competition.
- Like its competition, it can get hot.
It does not come with a blade storage case that can cause issues if you don’t have an additional bag to store them.
- This model is not great for working in tight spaces because of its size.
Bosch RS428 14 Amp Reciprocating Saw
The Bosch RS428 14 Amp Reciprocating Saw is a cordless saw capable of producing up to 14,000 strokes per minute. This is precisely the type of saw you need when working in small areas so you do not waste too much space on your toolbox. The saw is powered by a 4.2 Amp motor, which can produce an incredible amount of power and easily cut through wood, metal, and other materials.
- Extremely lightweight.
- Very durable.
- Durable plastic handle.
- Folds up for easy storage and transport.
- Twelve inches of blade length.
- Great for medium to large jobs in tight spaces such as cabinets and closets.
- On the smaller side, when it comes to reciprocating saws.
- Battery included in the package is limited.
- Does not come with a spare blade which can be inconvenient during long jobs.
PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX Reciprocating Saw, Tool Only (PCC670B)
The PCC670B 20V Max Reciprocating Saw by Porter-Cable is a tool-only model with a battery. You will have to purchase the saw and the battery separately, not waste money. Even though this tool-only model does not come with a battery, it still has significant power thanks to its 10 Amp motor. This will allow you to get through even larger jobs in a shorter time.
- Fast charging.
- Long blade is great for ripping and cutting through logs and wood.
- On/off switch located on the front of the saw (great for beginners).
- One hundred per cent metal frame with a lifetime warranty.
- Only tool only model.
- Does not come with a battery.
The DCK292L2 20V max Reciprocating Saw is the best combo for several reasons. It has a flexible shoe, making it easy to cut in different positions and angles. The battery is also interchangeable with several other batteries that are easily found at your local store. This allows you to work for longer times and harder jobs without having to replace or charge the batteries over and over again constantly. This is another great feature, and you can use the included charger from any angle, thanks to its 90-degree plug-in design.
Best Reciprocating Saw For pruning
SnapFresh Cordless Reciprocating Saw
The BBT-JOL01 reciprocating saw is the best reciprocating saws for pruning. It has a very comfortable rubber grip and a very compact design, making it easy to use all day long if you are doing light-duty pruning. The lightweight design makes it easier to handle as you prune different plants and trees.
Thanks to its potent motor, this reciprocating saw can cut through anything in your way, including extremely thick branches and trunks.
Best Budget Reciprocating Saw
BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Cordless Reciprocating Saw Kit (BDCR20C)
These high-powered lithium-ion reciprocating saws are more compact and have handles that allow for better control; they are also lighter and fitted with blades in different materials, such as metal or wood.
Pneumatic reciprocating saws run on compressed air, while cordless models are battery-powered. Pneumatic saws are quieter than electric ones, but they require access to a power outlet to operate. Cordless reciprocating saws take only around 15 minutes to recharge.
Best Cordless Reciprocating Saw
GALAX PRO Reciprocating Saw
The GALAX PRO GP-97705 3.5 AMP Reciprocating saw is a cordless reciprocating saw that delivers 3200 SPM (strokes/minute).
This cordless reciprocating saw runs on a 12 V battery with minimal vibrations, especially when using it for up to an hour.
The GALAX PRO GP-97705 features a wrap grip with soft rubber material and can hold enough power to cut through anything in your way, including limbs up to 4″ thick.
Best Reciprocating Saw Under $50
WORKPRO 12V Cordless Reciprocating Saw with Clamping Jaw
The WORKPRO W125045A 12V Cordless Reciprocating Saw isn’t a tool for heavy-duty woodcutting, but it’s the most popular model in its class price. It is low.
This reciprocating saw runs on a 12V lithium-ion battery. It has an adjustable metal clamping jaw that provides greater versatility and can hold up to 2″ thick material.
The WORKPRO W125045A cordless reciprocating saw has a soft-grip handle that provides greater comfort and control while reducing vibrations by 50%.
Reciprocating Saw Safety Precautions
A reciprocating saw is a powerful tool that can cause serious damage if not handled correctly. You must follow some basic safety precautions while using the reciprocating saw to prevent an accident.
- Take time to read the safety manual that is included with the saw. This will help you understand how the tool works and how to use it safely.
- Wear all required safety gear. This includes goggles, leather gloves, and earplugs if you use the reciprocating saw in an environment with a lot of noise.
- Dress appropriately. You should wear clothes that cover your arms and legs completely so that no part of your body is exposed while operating a reciprocating saw.
- Make sure that you have adequate lighting in your workspace. The better the light, the better you will see what and how you are cutting.
- Wear heavy boots and thick gloves while operating a reciprocating saw. This will prevent your feet from slipping off the elevated workstations commonly used with this power tool.
- Use a push stick or push pad with a stop block if necessary.
Will reciprocating saw cut metal?
Yes, a reciprocating saw can cut metal. It may take a while to make the final cut, but it will get through. It will not cut as quickly as it does wood, but it will still get the job done. Always use a blade meant for metal to make your cuts even more accurate.
Will a reciprocating saw cut through concrete?
A reciprocating saw is one of the best tools to make quick cuts through concrete or brick renovating a home.
Can reciprocating saw cut tree branches?
Yes, a reciprocating saw can cut through branches. You might have to loosen them first, but it should work fine if you make them thin enough. You can best find a blade fitting for this kind of work and use it when doing your projects.
Can a reciprocating saw cut a small diameter tree limb?
This will depend on what type of blade your saw has but most likely, no.
Are reciprocating saw blades universal?
No, these blades are not truly universal unless you have a reciprocating saw made of aluminum or wood.
What type of reciprocating saw should I get?
We recommend that you look into buying a cordless reciprocating saw such as the DEWALT DCK290L2 or GALAX PRO GP-97705. They have more power and can cut through thicker woods without problems. They are ideal for cutting branches and small bushes. A typical 12-inch blade will handle small branches easily.
Where to rent a reciprocating saw?
In the US, you can rent a reciprocating saw from United Rentals, American Rentals Inc, or Cal-West Rentals.
In the UK, you can rent a reciprocating saw from HSS Hire, HireBase, or Brandon Hire Station.
You should be able to find a place that rents out reciprocating saws in big cities. You can usually find places in different parts of the country and even the world. Check online and see if that is something that you are interested in doing to get started a lot faster.
What is the best reciprocating saw for small jobs?
We recommend the DEWALT DCK290L2 12V cordless reciprocating saw. It has a strong motor and comes with two blades to cut through wood rapidly and metal.
- Rabbet Plane vs Shoulder Plane: Which One to Choose? - May 3, 2023
- Revive Your Surfaces with Orange Oil Cleaner for wood: A Comprehensive Guide - April 11, 2023
- Mastering the Art of Engraving Letters into Wood: A Step-by-Step Guide - April 29, 2023
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.